Saturday, November 10, 2007

the news this week, oh boy

I have had more discussions than days in the week this past week about life and serious struggles. Three marriages that are in trouble - one that is drifting seriously off course, one that is still at sea, but it is a dark and stormy sea, and one that has already sunk. Another close friend is taking some time off from the world, removing herself from work and most of her circle to try to regroup in her basement. Several of us have been taking turns holding the heart of someone in particular, someone I love more than almost anyone else. Another of my girls has an edge that has become too sharp and too persistent. It just won't go away. And because of the crack cocaine-like nature of my brief experience with synthetic happiness I am the go-to girl for advice on the best source. So I got a few calls. Nothing seems to be going as planned. But our plans never include disappointment, heart ache and depression. And when it happens, we are all there, or try our best to be. We listen, we talk, we eat and drink. Some of us buy beautiful new things. Mostly we rely on hope and love and make it up as we go along.

No comments: